Whether you're a weekend rider or a dedicated enthusiast, every cyclist needs to be comfortable on their bike to enjoy the journey. Upgrading your saddle is a great first step to take to achieve a ride feel like never before.
With many different styles and features to choose from, it may seem like a daunting task trying to determine which saddle will be the perfect fit, but we are here to help. Cloud-9 offers a wide range of saddles to cater to all types of cyclists- leisurely cruisers, everyday commuters, E-bike riders, and dedicated athletes alike. While we may not be able to tell you exactly what saddle to buy (because every body is different, and everyone has different preferences), we'll be happy to assist you and point you in the right direction. Simply follow our guide and feel free to contact us should you have any questions.
Step 1: Determine your riding position
This style of riding is the most relaxed position. You sit very upright and the majority of your weight rests on the rear of the saddle. If this describes your riding style, you'd want to choose a saddle from the Cruiser Category.
This position has the rider sitting fairly upright, with the majority of your weight resting on the middle of the saddle. Your back is positioned at approximately a 60° angle. If this describes your riding style, you will want to choose a saddle from the Comfort Category.
This is the most athletic style of riding. The majority of your weight rests on the nose of the saddle and your back is in a leaned-forward position. Road bikes, gravel bikes, and mountain bikes are examples of this category of riding. If this describes your riding style, you will want to choose a saddle from the Sport Category.
Step 2: Decide what features are important to you
Once you have narrowed down the category of saddle that you should be browsing, the next step is to consider different features that you are interested in. Below are some questions to consider:
- Do you ever get caught in bad weather conditions, or ride in areas that mud or dirt may be present? If so, you may benefit from choosing a saddle with a Soft Touch Vinyl or HD Vinyl Cover.
- Do you live in a warm climate, and want a saddle that will assist in keeping you cool? If so, you may want to choose a saddle with a Lycra Cover, and / or a Vented Channel.
- Are you looking for the softest foam available? If so, you would want to choose a saddle crafted with Select Foam.
- Are you interested in a saddle that has built in suspension? Coil and Web Springs provide the highest level of shock absorption, while Elastomer Springs resist rust and dampen small bumps and jolts.
- Do your rides typically last longer than one hour? If so, you'd want to choose a saddle with a foam that will provide long-lasting support. Multi-Stage Foam and Memory Foam are both great options.
- Do you ride an E-Bike? All of our saddles are compatible on most E-Bikes (check with your bicycle manufacturer if you are unsure on compatibility), but the Metroline Saddles are a great choice as they have an integrated handle for ease with lifting and bike-share applications.
If you are interested in learning more about all of the features offered in Cloud-9 Saddles, head to the Cloud-9 Saddle Features page (link opens in a new window).
While we offer many different features in our saddles, please note that not all are available to every category of seat. For example, Coil Springs are only available in the Cruiser Saddle Category because they soften the ride the most at the cost of being a little heavier than other suspension options. Typically, comfort riders and sport riders don't demand the best shock absorption and prefer to choose a saddle that is lighter in weight.
Step 3: It's time to pick out your saddle
Now that you have a better understanding of what to look for, it's time to narrow down the options even further to find the saddle that will be best suited for you. Once you have browsed our website and found your fit, head to your local bike shop (or online retailer) to purchase your new saddle.
If your new seat isn't what you were hoping for, there's no need to worry! We offer a 90 Comfort Guarantee, just bring the saddle and it's original packaging back to your local bike shop and they will be able to exchange it for a new one of equal or lesser value, no questions asked. Learn more about our Comfort Guarantee here (link opens in a new window).